Monday, March 7, 2011

Sneaky Meatloaf


I know we've visited meatloaf before.  I promise you though, this meatloaf is a little bit different.  I did the usual with the ground meatloaf mix (lamb, beef, and pork), egg, and breadcrumbs.  Here's where we get a little sneaky...I pureed a bunch of yummy steamed veggies- peas, broccoli, carrots, celery and onion.  I topped it with pasta sauce, and there you go!  A super simple, super healthy, and incredibly easy dinner!

You need:
  • 1 pound meatloaf mix
  • 2 celery stalks
  • 2 carrots
  • 1 medium onion
  • Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
  • 1 egg
  • Ketchup
  • Broccoli (I use about a cup)
  • Peas (I use a little less than a cup)
  • Pasta Sauce
  • Salt and Pepper
Directions:
  • Chop the celery, carrots and onions.  Sweat (cook until fork tender- you'll see moisture released as you do this) the celery, carrots and onions.  Steam the broccoli and peas. 
  • Puree all of the vegetables.
  • In a large bowl, add the vegetables, salt and pepper, egg, and a good squirt of ketchup.  Add enough breadcrumbs to bind it together so it's not slimy, but moist and firm.
  • Preheat your oven to 350-degrees.
  • Drizzle olive oil onto a baking sheet
  • Form your meatloaf/spice/breadcrumb mixture into two small logs.
  • Cook at 350-degrees for twenty minutes.  Top with pasta sauce (or if you don't like pasta sauce, my girlfriend Laraine swears by barbecue sauce- I've tried it and I've gotta say, it's a great change of pace, and is super yummy), and cook for 15-20 more minutes.
  • Wait about five minutes so that you don't lose its juiciness, and serve.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment